Thursday, December 26, 2013

xenocide.

Mortimer J Alder said, "In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through you." Ever since I saw this quote, I haven't felt obligated to finish the book I'm reading so that I can get started on a new one. Sure it feels nice to say that you read 20 books over the summer, but if they never really resonate with you, then what's the point? Speaking of books, I read one!


This is the third book in the Ender Quartet. I can decide which one I like more, Xenocide, or Speaker for the Dead. But this book did have some really nice quotes.

"People only really believe in what they've seen before."

"What's in your head is reality, more or less, as best you understand it. But in Ender's mind, madness. Thousands of competing contradictory impossible visions that make no sense at all because they can't all fit together but they do fit together, he makes them fit together, this way today, that way tomorrow, as they're needed."

"Computers, now- those things can pay attention. And their memory is neat, orderly, everything organized and findable."
"But they don't dream."
"No madness. Too bad."  

No comments:

Post a Comment